Joomla and WordPress are the top websites for any business or store to start. WordPress is the most popular CMS and the most powerful website platform globally. Whereas Joomla is considered the next best platform after WordPress for business websites. However, if we compare both, WordPress leads the race with its power to extend the platform with its thousands of plugins. So, if you are thinking of migrating from Joomla to WordPress site, it can help you meet your growing business needs. In this blog, we will show you how to migrate from one platform to another with a simple step-by-step guide below:
Why Choose WordPress Over Joomla?
Before getting to the migration process we need to understand the main similarities and differences that come with moving from Joomla to WordPress. Starting your business with Joomla site is quite convenient and easy for beginners. However, as your business evolves, you need to reflect upon your growing needs and move forward accordingly. Yet, moving from one platform to another can seem like a risk or hard work for many. So, before moving, let’s take you through why and how to migrate from Joomla to WordPress site to clear all your doubts and worries.
|Has a complicated learning curve||Is simple to use and offers more flexibility|
|Requires manual automation for updates||Automatic updates|
|Used only for publishing regular content||A Blogging Platform|
|7,900+ plugins||58,000+ free plugins and themes|
|Multilingual support||Add-on feature for support|
|Less Prevalent||A popular choice on the web|
|Difficult to get web developers on board because of less popularity||Easy assistance from high-quality web developers|
In conclusion, migrating from Joomla site to WordPress site is an ideal choice for growing a business. With WordPress plugins, themes, active community, and flexibility, you can take everything to a grand level and make the most out of the platform.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Migrating
Before starting the actual migration process, you must prepare your website to make sure everything is saved and exported safely to WordPress.
- Create a complete backup of your Joomla website. You can try backup plugins!
- To ensure there is no negative impact on your site’s SEO and rankings, prepare and save a complete list of your Joomla URLs.
- Since WordPress is an open-source platform, you need to get a domain name and web host services on your own. Many web hostings providers like Dreamhost and Convesio provide managed hosting services for WordPress. You can also check our Web Host Reviews to know about the top web hosting providers for your WordPress website.
- Once you have chosen your domain name and hosting provider, you can install WordPress and set it up.
How To Migrate From Joomla To WordPress
Now let’s get down to the business of step-by-step guides on how to move your website from Joomla to WordPress. In this process, we are using the FG Joomla to WordPress plugin for easy migration. This plugin helps you skip the manual work and any complications related to your content, SEO, and rankings. So, read the below-given step-by-step guide on how to make a seamless shift from Joomla to WordPress using this plugin:
Step1: Install the FG Joomla to WordPress Plugin
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and then Plugins
- Click on add new and search for the plugin
- Once you find the plugin, install and activate the plugin
Step 2: Save your Joomla database parameters
- Login to the backend of your Joomla website
- Navigate to System> Global configuration
- You can now find the database settings in the Server tab
- Note down and save information on the hostname, database username, database name, and database table prefix
Step 3: Import content from Joomla
- Switch to WordPress and click on the Tool tab
- Here you’ll see Joomla FG as one of the options for importing
- Click on it and Run Importer
Note: In case you are willing to empty your old WordPress website content including pages, posts, categories tags, and media, you can remove it or create a backup of it. You can then reset your WordPress database by selecting remove all WordPress content and clicking on Empty your WordPress content.
Step 4: Migrate your content to WordPress
- Next, you need to Navigate down the page and find the Joomla website parameters
- Once you find it, you can fill down all the information you noted in step 2 while saving the Joomla database
- Once filled, test the database connection by clicking on the button at the end
- Now scroll down to the main import option where you can import content as drafts or even as published posts
- Now you can decide whether you want to import media or chose the same Joomla content images to be used as features images in WordPress
- Next click on import meta keywords as tags to transfer your SEO settings to WordPress
- Finally, you scroll down and click on Start / Resume Import, and let the plugin do the rest
Step 5: Change Internal Links
Once the whole migration process is completed, click on the Modify Internal Links button. With modify internal links, you can map your current internal links to your new WordPress URLs. Once you have changed your internal links, you are done with the migration process. Now, you can customize your WordPress website!
The process does not end here. Even after a successful migration, there are a few things that you need to take care of for a smooth transition post-migration. Working on WordPress can be a different and unique experience. You need to trust the process to achieve higher results. Below are a few things you can do to ensure a final setup of your WordPress website:
- Move your site content to the live domain: During the migration process, everything is in the development stage. One must keep their content safe in the foothold till then. However, once the process is completed you can trust and take all your content live on WordPress to move ahead.
- Select a WordPress Theme for your new site: WordPress offers a wide variety of amazing themes to match your brand identity and design your site beautifully. However, in case, you already have a strong brand intently with your old theme, you may use the same theme so that your users do not get confused with all the changes. If not, you can completely revamp your whole website as you like.
- Break-free your limits with all WordPress Features: Now that you have shifted to a more powerful, flexible, and creative platform from Joomla, you have opened up to new possibilities. Go ahead and browse WordPress’s extensive directory and find the right plugins and apps to enhance the functionality and results of your site.
- Setting Up URLs: Choosing an appropriate permalink structure in WordPress is essential. Permalinks are the web addresses of your posts and pages. Go to your WordPress dashboard, find the Settings option, and select Permalinks. Though WordPress sets a default format, opting for the “Post name” format is often more user-friendly and SEO-compliant. However, if you run a news-focused site, you should include the date in your URLs.
- Handling Broken Links: A platform shift might result in a few broken links. Tools like the Broken Link Checker plugin can help you spot and fix these, ensuring visitors can avoid dead ends on your site. Additionally, SEO tools like Google Search Console can flag pages that aren’t found.
- Implementing Redirects: If URLs have changed during the migration, set up redirects to guide visitors to the correct pages. Plugins such as Redirection can make this process simpler. For those using Hostinger as their web host, you can also establish redirects through the hPanel.
- Extending Functionality with Plugins: Plugins enhance your site’s capabilities. Consider adding essential plugins for SEO (like Yoast SEO), page building (Visual Composer), e-commerce (WooCommerce), and performance optimization (W3 Total Cache), among others.
- Revamp Your Site’s Look: The design of your site can make or break the user experience. Browse other websites for design inspiration, emphasize mobile responsiveness, and maintain a clean layout. If you’re up for it, a basic understanding of HTML and CSS can give you more control over tweaks and customization.
We hope we made the entire process of moving your website from Joomla to WordPress quite seamless and easy. Now that you have concluded the migration process, you can focus on familiarizing yourself with your new powerful website on WordPress. Learn about its features, plugins, and premium plans. In case you are a beginner and need assistance on how to migrate from Joomla to WordPress you can check out Seahawk’s WordPress Migration Services for a hassle-free process.