- Looking To Migrate From Drupal to WordPress?
- Drupal vs. WordPress comparison
- Number Comparison: Drupal vs. WordPress
- Debunking 2 biggest myths: WordPress vs. Drupal
- Drupal to WordPress Migration: 4-Step Simple Guide
- Why Choose Seahawk as Your Drupal to WordPress Migration Agency?
Looking To Migrate From Drupal to WordPress?
Drupal is an open-source CMS to build customized websites and web applications. Released in 2001, it is written in PHP language. Big enterprises that get high traffic chose Drupal for complex web development.
Hence web development using Drupal costs much more than WordPress including maintenance. But why would you pick Drupal when you have a CMS that is cost-effective, easy to use, and does everything Drupal does at a much lower cost? Presenting you- WordPress
So if you’re thinking about Drupal to WordPress Migration, you are in the right direction. While both WordPress and Drupal are open-source CMS, WordPress came 2 years later. Even then, WordPress has occupied more than 60% of CMS websites on the internet. Here you will know exactly why WordPress is the right choice for your business over Drupal
Drupal vs. WordPress comparison
Top 3 Reasons Why You Need Drupal to WordPress Migration
Functionality & Usage
WordPress: As soon as the installation is complete, it is ready to use and doesn’t require any complex setups. WordPress also has amazing themes designed for beginners as well as for advanced users. With even little to no experience, WordPress is a ready-to-go platform for any kind of business.
Drupal: It is not as simple as WordPress and requires some time to figure out core functionality. That being said, Drupal is not an ideal CMS for beginners. The highly customizable features would require an experienced developer for it to function at its full potential. Drupal can be hard to learn as it requires more expertise.
While the setup & web hosting costs are almost the same for both WordPress and Drupal, the maintenance cost varies for both poles apart distance.
Since Drupal requires technical expertise, the maintenance cost is much more expensive. You need to hire experts to explore Drupal’s full functionality. Even after the web development with Drupal is complete, any more support requires extra cost.
Charges are almost sky-high because of the small size of the Drupal community. Another big reason why you’re thinking right about Drupal to WordPress migration.
On the other hand, WordPress maintenance doesn’t cost as much and it is quite pocket friendly even for small businesses. Seahawk lists $70-100 per hour retail for WordPress development which is way less than Drupal’s maintenance cost.
Matt Cutts, the former head of the Google webspam team, has said that Google loves WordPress. Well, there’s a reason for it.
SEO revolves around core responsiveness & user experience. WordPress has both.
Responsive mobile friendliness, themes & plugins make WordPress websites SEO-friendly which climbs the ladder of search engine rankings.
When it comes to Drupal, the heavy loads of systems and modules require additional time to load most of the time, making it non-optimized for the search engine. The speed of the website plays an important role in deciding SEO-friendliness, and there Drupal steps back a little.
Want more reasons why you should migrate from Drupal to WordPress? Let’s have a look at some comparisons & burst some myths.
Number Comparison: Drupal vs. WordPress
Launched 2 years later than Drupal, still to date WordPress acquired more than 60% of the world’s CMS websites. Whereas, Drupal’s number is only 4%.
Huger enterprises like Facebook, The New York Times, Bloomberg, etc, are running on WordPress.
Drupal is not even closer to WordPress’ share in the market but still, to mention, its circle includes websites like- Cisco, NBC, The Economist, etc
Out of all websites on the internet, more than 40% are run on WordPress. Whereas, Drupal’s share is only 1.7%
Debunking 2 biggest myths: WordPress vs. Drupal
Myth 1: WordPress is only for small businesses
Well, it is already mentioned and clear that big business websites run on WordPress. It is right that WordPress is ideal for small businesses, people just starting out in wordpress development, and bloggers, however, in no way it means that big websites cannot run on WordPress effectively.
Rather it is an added advantage on the WordPress end that this platform is for both small & big enterprises.
Myth 2: Multilingual is an issue with WordPress
Yes, Drupal 8, has inbuilt multilingual capabilities, however, even with WordPress, you can build a hassle-free multilingual website to your SEO advantage.
Google loves WordPress because of its SEO-friendliness. Why not double the love by making a multilingual WordPress website?
There are various ready-to-go plugins like WPML and MultilingualPress to achieve multilingual functionality and content localization on WordPress.
Learn More: 6 Common WordPress Myths Debunked
Drupal to WordPress Migration: 4-Step Simple Guide
For Drupal to WordPress Migration, follow these 4 simple steps using a plugin
Install FG Drupal to WordPress plugin
In your WordPress Dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New, and search for FG Drupal to WordPress. Click Install Now, and once it’s done, Activate
Get Your Drupal Information
To get this information, go into the settings.php file using an FTP client (usually found here: drupal/sites/default/settings.php). Next, follow these instructions:
- Download and install the FTP client of your choice.
- Go to your site’s default directory.
- Open the settings.php file.
- Copy the hostname, database name, username, password, and Drupal table prefix.
- Paste it into a text file and save it for later.
Import Drupal Content to WordPress
You are almost there with Drupal to WordPress Migration.
- In your WordPress dashboard, click on Tools > Import
- Following step 1, you will see Drupal in the table. Click on Run Importer.
- This will take you to a page where you can set all options for the migration of your data.
- There, you will see a button – Empty WordPress content. This will delete your entire WordPress Content (all posts, pages, categories, etc.). You must take a backup of your WordPress content before hitting the ‘Empty WordPress Content’ button.
- In the Drupal website parameters section, enter the URL of your current Drupal website. This will be used to extract data from your current site.
- Under the Drupal database parameters section, paste the information about your old database that you copied from your settings.php file.
- Once you’ve entered the details, click on test the database connection to ensure it’s working.
- Next is, the behavior section. Here, specify the items you’d like to import in addition to your Drupal posts and pages.
- Once you’ve configured everything, click the Start the import button and Drupal to WordPress Migration will begin
- You will see a bar that tracks the migration process & in case of any problem, it will show up in the box
Why Choose Seahawk as Your Drupal to WordPress Migration Agency?
Even though we have included the steps you need in Drupal to WordPress migration, it’s always a better idea to pick the experts to do the work for you. This ensures safe data transfer & smooth migration process. Even a tiny mistake in doing Drupal to WordPress migration can cost you long-term damage.
But, you don’t have to worry about that.
Seahawk is dedicated & passionate about WordPress. We are fully white-label WordPress service providers and provide Pro WordPress Services for revolutionary pricing at $70-100 per hour retail for our partners.
From WordPress support to UI design, to hacked site repairs, to web development, we take care of all on your behalf. Our retention services that prevent customer churn for web hosts make us unique in the market.
Over 1000+ businesses like Clean Juice, GoDaddy, etc trust seahawk with WordPress services.
It’s your time to join and scale your business with us. Contact us now for further personalized details.