When considering a move or expansion of a website, it is a good idea to know the ins and outs of moving your website. This article simplifies the process with steps on how to migrate your website files from one server to the next.
A server is a client to many devices, providing connections and services necessary for the device to perform the tasks it’s meant for.
A server provides functionality to other programs or devices on a computing network. It allows computers to share resources, though this work is split between the client device and the server. Servers are made up of different hardware and programs that must work in harmony to keep a network running.
Switching a single domain to a new server
- You can choose a username on a different server by editing the domain in your panel.
- Log in to your website and navigate to the manage domains page.
- When you are ready to change your domain, click the Edit button next to the domain name under the Web Hosting column.
- To access the Users, Files, and Paths section, scroll down.
- The domain runs under the user’s right-hand side.
- Choose From the dropdown menu, pick New Username. Type in the username. Be sure to select the correct server. Delete the check from the box. Move the files to the new user.
- You can save your changes by clicking Change Settings at the bottom of the page.
- Here’s what you need to fill in. The user is ready to use the server in 15 minutes. The transition to the new user might take several hours, depending on how often data is moved. Check the Manage Domains page to see how far a single domain transfer has progressed. A clock symbol and wording explaining that information is being migrated to the new user may appear to the right of your domain. The symbol and text will no longer show once the task is completed.
Migrating to a new DNS server and DNS propagation
- Rerouting domains can take four to six hours. During this time, your website will still function without new domain instructions. You should avoid making any website improvements until the reroute is finished due to the possibility of tweaking old instructions rather than resolving new ones.
- When you switch servers, your IP address gets to be changed. If your domain uses the specified name nameservers, the domain’s IP address is instantly transformed.
- If a domain is not a server-based domain, updating their DNS records will need to be updated manually.
- You can see all the DNS records of your site with a quick look at your panel. Copying DNS records new to your panel may take up to an hour to show up.
Afterward, once you have fixed all the issues with your previously hosted website and ensured it works properly, you have successfully migrated your website.
If you need professional help to migrate your website, get in touch with us!