WordPress is a free, open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL. It uses parts of the model—post, edit, and display—as its architectural framework. The posts can be formatted in HTML or WYSIWYG editor. Do you know over 455 million websites use WordPress?
Since the software is free, many agencies & individuals hire professional WordPress development agencies or developers for top-quality website design and development. To help you gain a foothold in this market, Check out this article to explore the role of a WordPress developer and how you can become a professional WordPress developer in just three steps.
- What is a WordPress Developer?
- Where do WordPress developers work?
- How much does a WordPress developer make?
- Steps to become a WordPress developer
- 5 Amazing WordPress Training, Course Providers Online
- How to work as a WordPress developer?
- Different options for where to work
- Starting Your Career Path As WordPress Developer
What is a WordPress Developer?
As a WordPress Developer, you will be responsible for back-end and front-end development, including creating WordPress themes and plugins. A significant portion of your time will be spent on creating functionality that meets the specific needs of clients and customers. You will also troubleshoot issues and ensure that your code is up to industry standards.
Duties of WordPress developers
As a WordPress developer, you will be responsible for creating and maintaining websites using the WordPress content management system. Your duties will include the following:
- Installing and configuring WordPress.
- Designing and developing themes and plugins.
- Setting up WooCommerce shops.
- Troubleshooting errors.
In addition to coding, you may also be required to write blog posts or create graphics for website headers and social media accounts.
Types of WordPress developers
There are different types of WordPress developers, each with their own set of skills and experience. Here are some of the most common types of WordPress developers:
- Full Stack Developers:
A full-stack developer is a WordPress developer with a comprehensive understanding of front-end and back-end development. Full-stack developers can design and develop complete WordPress websites from start to finish.
- Front-End Developers:
Front-end developers focus on a WordPress website’s graphical interface and user experience. They are responsible for creating the look and feel of the site, as well as developing custom themes and plugins.
- Back-End Developers:
Back-end developers focus on a WordPress website’s functionality and technical aspects. They are responsible for ensuring that the site runs smoothly and efficiently and can often be found working on complex database queries and code optimization.
Where do WordPress developers work?
There is no exact answer to this question, as WordPress developers can work in various places. Some may work for a web development agency specializing in WordPress, while others may be freelancers working with multiple clients. Some WordPress developers may even work directly for a top company like Automattic which owns WordPress.com. No matter where they work, WordPress developers typically need to have a good understanding of both front-end and back-end development and a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and PHP.
How much does a WordPress developer make?
A WordPress developer can expect to earn $50,000 per year. However, freelance developers can often make more than this, with some reaching as much as $100 per hour.
Steps to become a WordPress developer
If you’re serious about becoming a WordPress developer, there are a few easy steps you can consider to get started:
- Please familiarize yourself with the WordPress code-base and learn how it works.
- Start contributing to the WordPress core or other popular plugins and themes.
- Join the WordPress community, attend WordCamps or other meetups to network with other developers.
By following these steps, you’ll be on your way to becoming a WordPress developer!
Let’s dig into these three steps in-depth:
1. Familiarize yourself with WordPress
The first step to becoming a WordPress developer is to familiarize yourself with the platform. Even if you’re already familiar with other CMS or web development frameworks, it’s essential to take some time to learn the ins and outs of WordPress.
Many resources are available to help you do this, including the official WordPress Codex and various online tutorials. Once you have a good understanding of how WordPress works, you can move on to step two.
2. Learn PHP and MySQL
WordPress is written in PHP, so if you want to develop the platform, you’ll need to learn this programming language. In addition, because WordPress stores its data in a MySQL database, you’ll need at least basic knowledge of SQL (Structured Query Language).
Luckily, plenty of resources are available to help you learn these technologies. For PHP, we recommend checking out the official PHP documentation or one of the many online tutorials like one from Tuts+ Code. For MySQL, we recommend reading through the official MySQL documentation.
3. Get involved in the WordPress community
The best way to learn how to develop WordPress is to get involved in the community. There are many ways to do this, including attending WordCamps (WordPress-focused conferences), joining a local WordPress meetup group, or contributing to the WordPress core code.
If you’re serious about becoming a WordPress developer, we recommend doing all three. By getting involved in the community, you’ll not only learn more about how WordPress works, but you’ll also make valuable connections with other developers.
5 Amazing WordPress Training, Course Providers Online
You can learn WordPress development online in many ways, but finding a reputable and affordable training course provider can take time and effort. Here are some fantastic WordPress training course providers that we recommend:
1. Coursera is a well-known online learning platform that offers various courses on different topics, including WordPress development. Their courses are suitable for all levels of students, from beginners to experts.
2. Udemy is another popular online learning platform that offers various courses on different topics, including WordPress development. Their practices are often more affordable than those offered by other providers, and they have a great selection of free and paid courses.
3. Skillshare is a unique online learning platform that offers video-based courses taught by industry experts. They have a small selection of WordPress development courses, but they’re all high quality and very informative.
4. Seahawk.com offers an extensive range of blogs, articles, and other resources around WordPress to help you learn WordPress development. Their resources are helpful for beginners, and intermediate-level students.
5. WPBeginner is one of the most popular online destinations for anyone wanting to learn WordPress. They offer a wide variety of free and premium tutorials, eBooks, and other resources.
How to work as a WordPress developer?
There are many options available for those seeking to work as WordPress developers. Below, we will outline a few of the most popular methods for finding work in this field.
1) Working as an employee for a company that specializes in WordPress development – This is often the most reliable way to find consistent work, as companies will typically have a steady stream of projects that need to be completed. However, finding these positions can be more challenging, as they are often highly competitive.
2) Working as a freelancer on a per-project basis – It can be a great way to get started in the field, as it allows you to build up a portfolio of work and test out your skills on real projects. Once you have established yourself as a competent freelancer, you can begin charging higher service rates.
3) Working as part of a team of WordPress developers – This is often the best way to learn and grow as a WordPress developer, as you can collaborate with other experienced professionals. Additionally, working within a team can lead to full-time employment opportunities.
4) Starting your own WordPress development business – This option is only viable if you have significant experience with WordPress and feel confident in your ability to provide high-quality services. However, if successful, owning your own business can be extremely rewarding both financially and personally.
Different options for where to work
There are many options available to WordPress developers when it comes to where to work. Here are some of the most popular choices:
This is by far the most popular option for WordPress developers. Freelancing allows you to have complete control over your work schedule and gives you the freedom to choose which projects you want to work on.
Working in-house for a company or organization can be an excellent option for WordPress developers who want stability and a regular paycheck. In-house positions also often include benefits like health insurance and paid vacation days.
Working for a WordPress development agency can be a great way to get experience working on various projects and learn from other experienced developers. It can also be an excellent way to network and connect in the industry.
Starting Your Career Path As WordPress Developer
No doubt, becoming a WordPress developer can be a lucrative career choice. WordPress development can offer the income and flexibility you need, but it will require you to invest time and money into education and experimentation.
Our WordPress Development Agency is here to help if you have any doubts or questions. We are a team of dedicated WordPress developers who are constantly working to build unique websites and guide our clients. If you are looking for an excellent source of information on WordPress-related topics, check out our blog section!