Website hacks and data breaches are common occurrences these days, particularly with WordPress-powered websites. And in the age of increasingly sophisticated cyber threats, you can’t just think about cybersecurity as a one-off. You need to take an uncompromising approach to your WordPress security and protect it from outside hackers and insider risks.
Let’s check out why WordPress security is an uncompromising strategy!
History of WordPress
WordPress has been around for over a decade and has become one of the most popular web content management systems (CMS). It powers millions of websites and blogs, including some of the biggest & giant brands in the world.
But WordPress is not just a CMS; it’s also a community. The WordPress community comprises passionate individuals who contribute their time and expertise to improve WordPress.
One of the things that makes WordPress so unique is its commitment to security. The WordPress Security Team is a group of volunteer experts who work to keep WordPress secure. They constantly monitor for new threats and vulnerabilities and work tirelessly to fix them.
The history of WordPress is one of constant evolution. As the web has changed, so has WordPress. And as new threats have emerged, so has WordPress’s commitment to security. In this ever-changing landscape, one thing remains constant: WordPress is the best platform for building your website or blog.
Why does WordPress Security Matter?
It’s no secret that WordPress is one of the most popular site-building and content-management systems on the web. But with great popularity comes great responsibility – and more significant risk when it comes to security. That’s why WordPress security matters.
There are several reasons why WordPress security is so important.
- Open-source platform: First and foremost, WordPress is an open-source platform, meaning anyone can contribute to its codebase. While this is generally a good thing, it also means that there are more opportunities for vulnerabilities to be introduced.
- Popularity: Secondly, because WordPress is so popular, it’s a prime target for hackers and cybercriminals. If they can find a way to exploit a weakness in WordPress, they can potentially reach millions of users.
- WordPress powers a large percentage: Finally, because WordPress powers such a large percentage of the web, any major security breach could have far-reaching consequences. A successful attack could take down major websites, impact critical online services, and cause widespread panic and disruption.
In short, WordPress security matters because an insecure WordPress installation could have severe implications for individual users and the broader web community.
Top 3 Security Measures to Take
When it comes to WordPress security, it’s not just about the hack. You can take several measures to secure your WordPress site, both big and small. Here are our top three security measures to take:
1. Use a strong password and change it regularly. A strong password comprises a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols and has at least eight characters long. Don’t use the same password for all your accounts – if one gets compromised; all your accounts are at risk. Change your password regularly (at least every few months) to help keep your account secure.
2. Keep your WordPress install up to date. WordPress releases new versions of its software regularly, which often include security fixes for vulnerabilities that have been discovered. Keeping your installation updated can help protect your site from known attacks.
3. Use a security plugin like Wordfence Security. This plugin adds an extra layer of protection to your site by scanning for malware and blocking malicious traffic. It also helps you monitor who is trying to log in to your site so you can quickly identify and block any suspicious activity.
Need Help For WordPress Site Hacked?
WordPress security is not just about preventing hackers from breaking into your website. It’s also about protecting your site from malicious code, keeping your plugins and themes up to date, and backing up your site regularly. Following these tips can help keep your WordPress site secure and running smoothly.
If your WordPress site has been hacked, Seahawk can help! We have a team of experts who can help you clean up your site and get it back up and running quickly. We also offer a WordPress Hacked Site Repair Solution to help you keep your site safe from future attacks. Contact us today to learn more!