In the business world, NAP stands for Name, Address, and Phone Number. To optimize your website and online presence for local search, the NAP for your business must be accurate and consistent since Google values precise information regarding users’ searches.
What is the importance of NAP for local SEO?
If you want your local SEO to be successful, you must have the correct NAP for your listings across the web. Google scans these listings to find out more about your business. The search engine stores and uses the data to determine the top rank. When NAP citations contain incorrect information, it can confuse customers and make their experience less satisfactory.
A local search ranking depends on NAP, a common term in Local SEO. If a search engine finds your business NAP on web pages, a local citation helps your business rank higher in local search results.
Your NAP on a third-party page lets readers know how to reach your business. Your business citations’ accuracy is another reason you should care about them. Readers may call the wrong number or arrive at the wrong address if your NAP is incorrect.
Optimizing your NAP
It is crucial that your company’s NAP can be found on as many different pages and domains as possible to rank well in Local Searches. In your image metadata, for example, you can place your NAP. However, other variations of your NAP introduce uncertainty, so the search engine cannot be sure that the citation belongs to the same business. Therefore, it is possible to rank lower in local search if your business’s NAP is inconsistent across business citations.
Things to remember when creating NAP in SEO
- Your website should prominently display this critical information so your customers and Google can easily find it. So that Google can scan the information and make sure the information is text and not an image.
- Your Google My Business listing needs to be claimed and updated with your correct NAP.
- Find out whether any listings are incorrect by using Google. To search specific directories or find your phone number, address, or business name, you can use Google site operators, such as site:yelp.com, “my business.”
- Start by correcting incorrect listings with a resource like this list of important listing sites.
- Whenever you change your business phone number or address, keep a record of all your listing information.
What if NAP is incorrectly published?
Your listings should be consistent with Google’s guidelines. You can confidently display your contact information on applicable searches. Discrepancies in listings indicate that the search engine is uncertain about information. NAP differences between your listings can result in lower rankings.
Online Businesses and NAP
A digital marketing strategy should include online business listings. A backlink from one of these listings can increase your website’s authority with search engines. For example, your website receives a backlink when another website links to yours. Search engines pick up on these endorsements as if the other website was endorsing your website. Your business should be described the same way in all these endorsements.
For more such glossaries, visit Seahawk Media.