While just thinking of having your website as beautiful as the unique Photoshop Designs, you may always have feared the complex coding to build the website. That’s where Shopify comes with its easy tools to build a great-looking website by the least complex process. So, let’s first take a quick look at what Shopify is-
Shopify is a convenient e-commerce solution for those with not much concept about HTML, CSS, or overall website building from scratch on their way to move businesses online with a website to handle their stores, warehouses, shopping carts, etc. Usually, many people want to move their businesses online but not having much tools and knowledge to build a website from scratch, becomes an obstacle in their way.
Shopify is a trusted solution there with several renowned clients such as Github, GE, Britannica, etc. Now let’s take a look at the steps to convert the Photoshop designs to Shopify-
Basic things required to start PSD to Shopify Conversion Process
Although Shopify makes it the easiest to develop a fully functional website from a PSD design, you will require some basic things for that-
- Some knowledge of HTML and CSS
- The Photoshop design of your page, Photoshop skills, and a basic working copy of that program.
- A Shopify account and some knowledge of how to customize its settings.
The steps to be followed to convert PSD to Shopify-
Having opened the Shopify account, you can follow the below steps to start your journey-
- From the “Development Stores” tab in your Dashboard, click the “Create a development store” button.
- After creating your development store, use the slice tool to slice your PSD design into small pieces. Then plan and code to customize smaller sections like “header”, “footer” and “sidebar”. The process to separate elements is to draw rectangles around them.
- Then to save the files as images with the highest resolution and not as a pixelated and blurry image, choose File, Save for Web and choose the highest resolution.
- Now save the completed version of your PSD file as a .html file in the same Photoshop program.
- After uploading a new HTML and image file to your services, you can edit your page’s template and can even replace the relevant images with the page’s template.
- From the dashboard of your development store, go to “Online Store Themes” and click “Visit Theme Store” to find a suitable theme that is already close to your sliced PSD file design.
- After installing your favorite theme, go to the Theme Manager and click the “Customize theme” button. Then the Theme Editor will open. There you will edit these theme files and will restore the images with your relevant sliced photos. That will make your Shopify theme look as you want. The files in the above screenshots are HTML files with some embedded code, named with a “.liquid” extension.
- After successfully converting your Photoshop design file, click the “Apps” icon from your “Development store” dashboard and select some apps to enhance the functionality of your store.
After completing your development work, follow any one of the following ways to bring your newly PSD to Shopify converted theme to work.
- Export the developed theme from the development store and import it to the Live Shopify Store as the primary theme.
- You can switch your development store to one of Shopify’s paid plans.
By following these easy steps, anyone with less knowledge of HTML and CSS can bring their great-looking PSD to a Live website for a better future.